Monday, February 20, 2012

Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe

I finally found a pork recipe my whole family liked. Pork is one of the cheapest meats here in Spain and I have tried many recipes but often hear complaints about it being dry or about grissle. I found this recipe that I had copied from one of my friends' cookbooks when I was visiting her last year. Pork was on sale at the store this morning so it was the perfect day to try this recipe out.

Sweet and Sour Pork

2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 lb. boneless pork cut into 1" cubes (I increased this to 3/4 Kilo of pork cut into cubes for stewing to have enough to feed my family of 6)
1 can (15.25 oz) pineapple chunks
1/2 cup light corn syrup (I reduced this to 1/4 cup but next time will try another substitute like honey since I can't buy corn syrup in Spain and I 'd like a healthier alternative anyway)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbps cornstarch
1/2 cup red and green pepper slices (I probably doubled this -- just used half a pepper of each )
I also added 1 onion, chopped
Brown pork in hot oil with the chopped onions. Add the next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil, simmer 10 minutes or until meat is fully cooked. Mix cornstarch with 2 Tbsp water. Add to pork along with the peppers. Boil 2 minutes stirring constantly. Serve over rice. Serves 4 (without the additions in parenthesis)


Everyone rated it a 4 or 4.5 and said they would like me to make it again sometime. That's good because I bought 1.5 kilos of meat and the rest is in the freezer for a repeat of this meal sometime in the future.

0 comments: